I have searched and searched for the perfect vegan mac and cheese recipe with no luck. Every recipe I tried had too many ingredients to make a “mock” cheese and still didn’t taste cheesy. I wanted a vegan mac and cheese that tasted like the dish my mom makes minus the dairy. Giving up dairy was hard especially as a former cheese lover. It took me a while but I think I finally nailed it!
For this recipe, I used So delicious cheeses. I love their shredded cheese because it tastes so much like dairy cheese it’s hard to believe that it has no animal by-products. I recently discovered Follow Your Heart block cheese and I had to read the ingredient label several times because it tastes so delicious and exactly like mozzarella cheese.
1 box of elbow macaroni
2 cups almond milk or non-dairy milk
1 cup nutritional yeast
1 block Follow Your Heart Mozzarella cheese cut into cubes
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon organic whole wheat flour
1. Boil a pot of water and cook the elbow pasta until it is al dente
2. In a separate bowl combine 1 tablespoon coconut oil with flour
3. Add nutritional yeast and mix until it forms a paste
4. Slowly add in almond milk and stir until it’s a nice consistency.
5. Start adding in cheeses one by one and stirring as you add.
6. Continue to stir until the cheese mix is nice and smooth. Don’t let it boil
7. Take the cooked pasta in a large bowl and add the cheese sauce on top. Stir until everything blends together.
8. Grease a shallow pan with remaining coconut oil and pour the macaroni cheese mix in the pan
9. Add remaining cheese on top to your liking
10. Cook in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and brown on top.
11. Eat and enjoy!
*****Feel free to add more cheese to this recipe if you like****