When I decided to make the switch to all natural beauty one of the first items on the chopping block was my facial cleanser. We use it everyday at least twice a day. So one could say that it’s a pretty important step in your beauty routine. It can also be one of the most damaging steps in your beauty routine. As a cleanser that you use twice a day it should be based on what it provides your skin. If you are using a cleanser filled with harmful ingredients your skin is not getting the most it can in terms of your health and beauty.
We all want clear, glowing, healthy skin. Wouldn’t it be great if your cleanser could do it’s job of removing dirt, debris, and make up without infusing chemicals into your skin. Our skin is our largest organ and whatever you place directly on your skin goes into your bloodstream. Now there’s something to think about.
Most drugstore cleansers do not contain any ingredients that actually nurture the skin. Nourishing things like plant-based antioxidants, omega rich oils, and botanicals. Hopefully with the info you find in this article you’ll be a little more cautious before purchasing your next cleanser.
Here’s a list of what to watch out for:
- SLS (also known as sodium lauryl sulfate)- You often hear about this in the natural hair community as a common ingredient to avoid. The same principals follow with skincare. This toxic ingredient is what creates the lather effect in products. It’s a chemical detergent and surfactant. Not only is SLS drying and striping to the skin but can also cause irritation and blemishes.
- Fragrance– Ya’ll know what this is; it’s the stuff that makes products smell good and sweet. And if you think about it why is that really necessary for a facial cleanser?? Whether artificial, synthetic or not this can cause irritation and inflammation, especially in sensitive or problematic skin.
- Benzoyl Peroxide– Commonly used with those who suffer from acne. It supposedly works to “dry up” acne lesions. However studies showed it may be possible tumor promoter and produces damage in human cells. It’s really not worth all the risk. Plus there are other more effective naturals ways to clear up acne.
- Parabens (methyl, butyl, ethyl, propyl)- Very commonly used preservative however not always indicated on the box. Companies do not have to disclose that their product contains parabens if it’s under 5%. Chose brands that indicate paraben free in their product line. Parabens have been linked to breast cancer among other diseases. Easily absorbed into the bloodstream and organs.
- Petroleum or mineral oil– Those can be kind of tricky to find you may also see them in the ingredient listed as propylene glycol, paraffin, butylene glycol, isopropyl alcohol. These oils can actually block and clog pores exacerbating acne. Instead opt for products that contain natural plant oils that provide nourishment.
A few things before you go…..
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on Periscope
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel