It took me a long time to come to terms with being an introvert. Obviously, I was born an introvert as many are. As a child, I knew I was different because I enjoyed spending time alone, hated small talk, and generally felt drained of energy after spending too much time with people. Like most introverts, I was told that I was shy or needed to come out of my shell. People often confuse being shy with being an introvert. Let me correct this myth by saying the definition of shy is a fear of people. I don’t have a fear of people. Quite the opposite actually. I enjoy long stimulating conversations on subjects I find interesting. But the thought of having small talk with a bunch of people about the weather then I start to cringe. As I got older and started to do research, I realized that this actually wasn’t a problem just a different way of focusing my energy. It was such a freeing experience to know that there was a name for people like me and that I wasn’t weird. I’m a thinker, a creative, an introvert. This is essentially what makes introverts different from extroverts. Extroverts gain their energy from being around people, a lot. Whereas introverts lose energy from being around people too much and gain their strength from spending time alone with their thoughts.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like to be in complete isolation or feel like I don’t need anyone. I do however know that too much stimulation and interaction will drain my energy leaving me mentally exhausted. Introverts need time to think and process things happening in the world around them. In learning how to balance life as an introvert, I’ve learned how to stop and take time for myself. It’s important to schedule self-care time to ensure your mental, spiritual, and emotional needs are met.
Here are a few tips on how to balance life as an introvert:
- Trust your gut. You know when you are feeling overwhelmed or mentally exhausted. Instead of trying to push past it, acknowledge those feelings and do something about it right away
- Take time for yourself. As an introvert we need quality self-care and alone time. Take a mini-vacation, spa trip, or a peaceful evening at home. Whatever helps you to relax the most and restores your inner peace, do that.
- Learn how to balance your time effectively. I always say that too much time spent on anything is just too much. Don’t overwhelm yourself by putting too many tasks on your plate. Break things down into doable pieces so that you accomplish more and not feel disappointed because you weren’t able to get to everything.
I’m so glad I found the Wallflower Box which is all about embracing, nurturing, and refreshing yourself and your quiet qualities. This is a monthly subscription box created with the introvert in mind. Plus all of the products are natural, organic, and or vegan/ cruelty-free. It’s so in line with what this blog is all about!
Each item is carefully crafted to help you unwind and regain your strength as us introverts need to do on a regular basis. I know when I need some quiet time because my mind will just shut off and it’s almost as if I cannot function anymore. This is how I know that I’ve become overwhelmed and drained mentally. In order to regain my strength, I need some quality alone time to relax and recuperate. This is how introverts can practice self-care. Watch the video below to see how I relax and unwind with The Wallflower Box.
Here’s what came with this months box:
- The Introvert Advantage by Marti Olsen Laney- insightful book written by an introvert for introverts
- Puur Body Vegan Soy Candle- vegan peach pie soy candle
- Life Force Essentials Organic Essential Oils- organic and wild harvested essential oil blend of lavender, orange, and spearmint
- A Rustic Feeling Handmade Coasters- natural handmade stone coasters
- Amitea Organics Tea- hand-crafted organic black tea peach flavor
- Skin Candy Company Cupcake Bath Bomb- luxurious skin loving bath bomb
- Parlo Cosmetics Whipped Body Butter- blackberry and vanilla bean whipped body butter
- GreenHouse17 Natural Lip Balm- lavender and peppermint lip balm
Get your own Wallflower Box using code: HAPPINESS for 10% off